1. TERM. This Contract is effective when signed by Oldfields below, and will remain in effect for the season selected above. If selecting only one or two seasons, this Contract will end at the end of the selected season(s) on or before Saturday, June 9, 2018. If selecting all three seasons, this Contract will end at the end of the school year on or before Saturday, June 9, 2018.
2. COMMITMENT TO FOLLOWING RULES. The Riding Student and her Parents/Guardians understand and agree that the Student must abide by all barn and riding rules adopted by Oldfields at any time, that the Student must follow the instructions and directions of Oldfields and its barn staff at all times, and that the privilege of participating in the School’s Riding Program may be withdrawn at any time and for any reason, at the discretion of the School.
3. PROPERTY IN STORAGE ON OLDFIELDS’ PREMISES. The Riding Student may store certain tack and equipment on the premises of Oldfields. However, Oldfields shall not be responsible for the theft, loss, damage, or disappearance of any of the foregoing, all of which is stored at the risk of the Riding Student and her Parents/Guardians. Oldfields strongly recommends that the Riding Student secure her equipment and small items in a tack trunk.
4. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK. The Riding Student, and her Parents/Guardians, acknowledge that there are numerous risks inherent in all horse-related activities, such as those described below, and hereby expressly assume all risks associated with participating in such activities. The inherent risks include, but are not limited to, (i) the possibility that a horse may run, buck, bite, kick, shy, stumble, abruptly change direction, stop short, rear, fall or step on something, even if the horse has no known history of these behaviors, which may result in an injury, harm or death to persons on or around them; (ii) the unpredictability of a horse’s reaction to such things as sounds, sudden movement and unfamiliar objects, persons or animals; (iii) certain man-made and naturally occurring hazards such as ground and subsurface conditions; (iv) collisions with other animals; and (v) the potential of another rider or other person to act in a negligent manner that may contribute to injury to the participant or others, such as failing to maintain control over a horse or acting beyond such rider’s ability. Riding Student and her Parents/Guardians acknowledges that the Student is solely responsible for her own protection and for control of the horse on which she rides, on or off the property, including but not limited to School horse(s) or any other horse boarded at Oldfields School. THE STUDENT AND HER PARENTS/GUARDIANS ASSUME ALL RISKS IN CONNECTION WITH TAKING PART IN THIS ACTIVITY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVE AND RELEASE ANY CLAIMS AGAINST OLDFIELDS, ITS EMPLOYEES, ADMINISTRATORS, FACULTY, STAFF, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, INSURERS, REPRESENTATIVES AND ASSIGNS, FOR INJURY (INCLUDING DEATH), ILLNESS, DAMAGES, OR OTHER LOSS ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO ANY RIDING STUDENT’S PARTICIPATION IN OLDFIELDS’ RIDING PROGRAM, OR THE RIDING OF ANY HORSE (WHETHER ON OR OFF OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY), OR THE USE OF (OR PRESENCE UPON) OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY, OR THE USE OF SERVICES OR FACILITIES OF OLDFIELDS, EXCEPT IF THE INJURY, DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTS FROM OLDFIELDS’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL AND WANTON MISCONDUCT.
5. INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS. RIDING STUDENT, AND HER PARENTS/GUARDIANS, AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFY AND DEFEND OLDFIELDS AND ITS EMPLOYEES, ADMINISTRATORS, FACULTY, STAFF, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, INSURERS, REPRESENTATIVES AND ASSIGNS, AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CAUSES OF ACTION, DAMAGES, JUDGMENTS, ORDERS, COSTS AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES AND COSTS, BROUGHT BY ANY THIRD PARTY AND WHICH IN ANY WAY IS RELATED TO OR ARISES FROM, OR IS CONNECTED WITH, STUDENT’S PARTICIPATION IN OLDFIELDS’ RIDING PROGRAM OR THE RIDING OF ANY HORSE (WHETHER ON OR OFF OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY), OR THE USE OF (OR PRESENCE UPON) OLDFIELD’S PROPERTY, OR THE USE OF SERVICES OR FACILITIES OF OLDFIELDS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY INJURY, ILLNESS, OR DEATH OR LOSS SUFFERED BY ANY FAMILY MEMBER OR SPECTATOR ACCOMPANYING STUDENT, EXCEPT IF THE INJURY, DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTS FROM OLDFIELDS’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL AND WANTON MISCONDUCT, ALL REGARDLESS OF ANY STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS OR CONTRACTUAL LIMITATION OF ACTIONS.
6. WAIVER OF ALL CLAIMS. Riding Student and the Student’s Parents/ Guardians waive the protection of any applicable statute in the State of Maryland, the purpose, substance and/or effect of which would otherwise provide that a general release shall not extend to claims not known or capable of being known to exist at the time of execution of the release.
7. APPLICABLE LAW. This Contract shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland. Any dispute arising out of or relating to this Contract, or the Student’s taking part in the Riding Program at Oldfields, shall be brought exclusively in the state courts of Baltimore County, Maryland, or the U.S. District Court in Baltimore, Maryland, each party hereby consenting to the exercise of personal jurisdiction by such courts.
8. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Contract represents the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof. No other agreement, promises or representations, oral or written, and included herein if not specifically stated herein. If any court deems any provision of this Contract to be unenforceable, such court is directed to modify such provision only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable, and shall enforce this Contract to the fullest extent possible.
Riding Student shall take responsibility for wearing an SEI/ASTM approved helmet, with the chin strap fastened, at all times while receiving instruction from Oldfields or while mounted on Oldfields’ property.
“Learning that moves outside of the classroom and into the barn” has long been the motto of Oldfields Riding. Not only do we look forward to teaching your daughter on the horse, we also look forward to helping her become a well-rounded horsewoman. Oldfields Riding is a hands-on program that includes riding lessons as well as horse management and daily care of the horses. Your daughter, as part of the Oldfields Riding Program, is responsible for the following: grooming, tacking up, untacking, and properly putting away each horse she rides. This includes her personal horse, if it is here with us at Oldfields. She is also responsible for cleaning and putting away all of the tack she uses as well as any other equipment regardless of whom it belongs to. As part of our whole educational experience, your daughter may be asked to help with barn chores in the afternoons which could include, but are not limited to: stall mucking, filling water buckets, giving horses hay and grain, sweeping, and general tidying of the barn to maintain cleanliness and safety. The Oldfields School riding staff is here to help your daughter every step of the way. We look forward to having your daughter with us this year.